Aggstein Castle was built on the banks of the Danube in the early 12th century. Its founder and first owner was Mangold III von Aggstein.
From 1181 to 1355 the castle was the property of the genus Kuenrings. For more than 150 years of their possession, the castle was attacked and besieged several times. After the death of the last Kunring, the castle began to fall into disrepair.
In 1529, the castle was burned down by the Ottomans, during their siege of Vienna. After that it was rebuilt.
In 1606, Anna von Polheim-e-Partz became the owner of the castle. Under it, the castle was repaired, and in front of it there were new buildings. After her death, the castle began to move from one to another, but none of them were interested in preserving it. This led to the fact that the buildings gradually began to collapse and come to the state that we see now.
Since 2003, the restoration and preservation of the ruins have been carried out in the beginning, thanks to which it is possible to visit different parts of the castle and plunge into the atmosphere of the Middle Ages.
Currently, the ruins can be rented for private holidays, and the chapel to hold a wedding ceremony.
Opening times, ticket price and other useful information are available on the castle’s official website.0